Why Hand Hygiene Is So Important?
We all grew up listening to our parents or teachers requesting us to wash our hands before taking our meal. This is a good habit that we all know, but we often ignore this good practice or are too lazy to make this a habit ourselves, thinking that this is not a big deal and having the illusion that disease will not strike us since we are healthy. Now, hopefully the below information will help to increase your awareness why hand hygiene is so important.
1) There are estimated around 1,500 bacteria living on each square centimetre of skin on our hands. Areas such as underneath the fingernails and between the fingers often harbour even more bacteria.
2) Hands are the main pathways of germ transmission. Up to 80 per cent of all infections are transmitted by hands, according to estimates by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
3) According to CDC, about 1.8 million children under the age of 5 die each year from diarrheal diseases and pneumonia, the top two killers of young children around the world.
4) Handwashing with soap could prevent 1 out of every 3 cases with diarrhea and almost 1 out of 5 cases with respiratory infections like pneumonia.
5) There are possibly more germs on your phone, remote control, keyboard and cutting board than on a toilet seat! Our hands come into contact with hundreds of objects or items every day, and germs and bacteria can be transferred from these objects onto our hands, and vice versa.
6) We frequently touch our eyes, nose, and mouth without even realizing it. Germs can get into the body through the eyes, nose and mouth and make us sick.
7) Hand hygiene is therefore the most important measure to avoid the transmission of harmful germs and prevent infections.
Washing your hands properly is one of the most important things you can do to help prevent and control the spread of many illnesses caused by bacteria and viruses. Good hand hygiene will reduce the risk of flu, food poisoning and infections being passed from person to person.
Washing your hands is easy. Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Lather the backs of your hands, your palm, between your fingers, and under your nails. Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds and rinse with clean water.
Happy Hand Washing and Stay Healthy! Don't forget to check out this hygienic auto-sensor soap dispenser in our specialty store here.